Whether you are someone new to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, or a professional who practices it often, a good Jiu-Jitsu mat can go a long way in enhancing your performance.
A good-quality Jiu-Jitsu mat will help keep you safe from injuries and undesired abrasions. You can go to the gym for training, but what if you could bring the gym home?
To train Jiu-Jitsu at home, you need to equip yourself at home with a top-notch Jiu-Jitsu mat to roll around on!
There are different kinds of Jiu-Jitsu mats, some better and more durable than others. Apart from durability, some of the features to look out for are that they should be easy to assemble, pull apart, and carry around.
Plus, they should come with water-resistant properties and be easy to clean. The mats should allow you to perform various exercises and workouts and stay put during your practice.
Best Jiu-Jitsu Mats – Reviews & Buying guide for 2021
Winner: ProsourceFit Puzzle Exercise Mat
ProSourceFit is one of the leading suppliers of high-quality fitness equipment for home workouts, personal training, yoga studio, CrossFit boxes, and gyms.
The mat covers 24 Square feet, is offered in 24” x 24” square pieces, and is roughly around 0.75 inches thick. It comes with 6 tiles and 12 end borders for a more finished look.
- Item Dimensions: 25 x 1 x 25 inches
- Weight: 7 pounds
- Covers: 24Sq. Ft.
- Thickness: ¾”-thick and 1”-inch
- ProsourceFit Puzzle Exercise Mat is made of high-density EVA foam that provides excellent support and cushion. The design is such that it can protect even the highest impact fall. They are available in black and grey, and the more traditional blue.
- These mats are the puzzle mat type and are light in weight, and so you can easily connect the pieces. Not only are they easy to interlock, but they are just as easy to disconnect and move.
- Dense and long-lasting, these tiles not only protect the floor but also can withstand intense use and gym equipment. The non-skid, textured surface is designed to be water-resistant and produces very little noise.
- The textured foam tiles have a non-skid surface that improves grip and prevent slipping. It also reduces the noise and absorbs the impact during exercises. The ¾” foam tiles are durable, but the 1” tiles are even more. They also can withstand intense workouts and extra heavy gym equipment. No matter the thickness, both provide more coverage and cushion tan yoga mats. Or any other folding exercise mats, for that matter. You can perform a variety of workouts easily. You can do push-ups, sit-ups, foam rolling and stretching, yoga, pilates, and a host of other floor exercises on them comfortably.
- Although advertised for heavy use, it may not be ideal for indoor gyms. Moreover, some users found the mat to be less than 1” thickness.
Runner Up: Yes4All Interlocking Exercise Foam Mats
Yes4All Interlocking Exercise Foam Mats is one of the best BJJ mats for home use.
This home jiu-jitsu mat is an excellent option for a home gym, aerobic, yoga, pilates, cross-fit, swimming pool edges.
The mat covers 24,48 or 120 Square feet, is offered in 24” x 24” square pieces, 12 tiles, and is roughly around 7/16 inches thick.
- Item Dimensions: 24 x 24 x 7/16 inches
- Covers: 24Sq. Ft, 48 Sq.Ft, and 120 Sq. Ft.
- Thickness: 7/16”
- Love working out but unable to go to the gym every day? If you would love to workout in the gym immediately after getting out from your bed, you can set up a home gym in your bedroom with Yes4All Interlocking Exercise Foam Mats. But the benefits don’t stop there.
- This versatile mat can also serve as a sleeping pad for camping or as a soft padded playmat for children to play on.
- The half-inch extra thickness of the mats is comfortable on the spots that are prone to experience pain, such as knees, elbows, spine, and hips, during a workout session. The non-skid textured and shock-absorbing surface of the EVA foam provides a supremely convenient and comfortable surface to workout on. It also prevents scratches and injury from physical activities due to them being grippy, shock-absorbing, and water-resistant.
- The puzzle type jiu Jitsu mats for home are lightweight yet durable. They are also easy to assemble and pull apart. The entire installation will take under 5 minutes. If you don’t want to miss out on your exercise routine, you can take them anywhere you are going and stove them away compactly when not in use.
- Moreover, you can remove and carry them outside for cleaning. And cleaning of these Brazilian jiu-jitsu mats is a breeze, thanks to the water-resistant and noise-reducing design.
- Available in 5 different choices of color, you can order as many tiles as you require. You can also cut them up as required to fit in personalized workout areas of your choice.
- The icing on the cake is the 5-year warranty that comes with this mat, which shows the quality of their product and the trust they have in them.
- The interlocking tends to come apart, so it may be difficult to perform a few exercises. They tend to slide a little and, in some cases, even come apart entirely.
Alternative: BalanceFrom Puzzle Exercise Mat
BalanceFrom Puzzle Exercise Mat is one of the best BJJ mats for home gym application. This home BJJ is a thick and premium mat of top-notch quality that provides a comfortable cushion for the spine, hips, knees, and elbows.
The mat covers 96 Square feet and is offered in 24” x 24” square pieces, 24 tiles, 48 end borders, and around ¾-inch thick.
- Item Dimensions: 24″ x 24″ x 3/4″
- Weight: 4.15 pounds
- Covers: 96 Sq. Ft
- Thickness: ¾” thick
- The mat comes in various thicknesses and coverage areas. There are 3 different options for thicknesses, and they are ½, ¾, and 1-inch thick. The ½-inch thickness mats can cover 24, 48, or 144 square feet. The ¾-inch thickness mats can cover 24 or 96 square feet. The one inch thick mats can cover 24 or 72 square feet.
- One of the best things about this puzzle type mat is that it comes with double-sided non-slip surfaces that give excellent slip-resistance, which is much needed during your exercise sessions. You can avoid injuries to yourself and the floor with these mats. No matter how intense the exercise or the style of exercise you perform, the slip-resistance advantage of the mat will help you to keep your balance and avoid injuries and falls. The EVA Foam, along with the added ¾” thickness, is a top-quality mat that shields the pain-prone areas during exercise. The high-density EVA foam material makes this mat sturdy and lasts for years.
- The other attractive things about these BJJ mats are their interlocking feature, moisture-resistant technology, and ease of assembly. You can easily wash the mat with soap and water, and it will be as good as new. It is light in weight and comes with interlocking capability that further makes it super easy to assemble.
- Further, it comes with a 2-year warranty. Also, it comes in three regular colors: Blue, Black, and Gray.
- The customer service is non-negligent. Some users also raised issues that the mat comes coated in a layer of grease and makes the floor slick and hard to walk on.
Alternative: ProsourceFit Puzzle Exercise Mat ½”
ProsourceFit Puzzle Exercise Mat ½” great for use in gyms, garages, fitness rooms at home, children’s play area, and more.
The mat covers 24, 48, or 144 Sq.Ft. The best BJJ mats are offered in 24” x 24” square pieces, 12 or 36 tiles, and 12, 24, or 72 end borders of ½-inch thickness.
- Item Dimensions: 24″ x 24″ x 1/2″
- Weight: 5 pounds
- Covers: 144 Sq. Ft.
- Thickness: 1/2” thick
- You can piece together a protective floor whenever you need it with ProsourceFit Puzzle Exercise Mat ½”. The durable surface of this mat provides an incredible impact-absorbing space for working out. The non-skid textured foam protects floors and provides a comfortable spot for all your workouts.
- If you are looking for a great alternative to a rubber floor mat, you can go with ProsourceFit Puzzle Exercise Mat. There are no toxic phthalates in this mat, only high-quality foam. It provides excellent support and cushion.
- The mat is equipped with lightweight, interlocking foam tiles that can be put together easily, effortlessly, and in virtually no time. It can be pulled apart just as easily and stored compactly when you do not need them.
- The mats may separate from each other when performing some exercises.
Alternative: ProsourceFit Puzzle Mat ½”
ProsourceFit Puzzle Exercise Mat ½” mat with 24 Sq. Ft. covered area, 6 24-inch square tiles, and 12 end border pieces of ½-inch thickness.
ProsourceFIT makes some of the best and highest quality BJJ mats for strength and resistance training and performance, pilates, and more. A cheap jiu-jitsu mat is an excellent option for home workouts.
- Item Dimensions: 24″ x 24″ x 1/2″
- Weight: 4 pounds
- Covers: 24 Sq. Ft.
- Thickness: 1/2” thick
- With a coverage area of 24 sq. Ft. and weighing 4 pounds, there is no compromise on the quality of these cheap BJJ mats. There is so much you can use this mat for! These BJJ mats are ideal for home workouts, personal trainers, various types of gyms, etc.
- The non-skid floor of the mat provides a perfectly safe space for your workout. The mats are provided with interlocking pieces that are quick and easy to assemble. You can take it apart just as easily. You can convert any area into a safe and convenient workout area with ProSource Exercise Puzzle Mat.
- Set them up in your garage, basement, and carpets to protect the floors, reduce noise, and make any floor exercise you perform a safe, comfortable, convenient, and enjoyable experience. The foam base is dense and textured and ideal for weight-lifting benches, dumbbells, Kettlebells, and so many other types of workout equipment. So, whether you are a newbie who is just stepping into the world of fitness or a professional who does intense workouts, this mat will suit your purpose.
- It is much more comfortable, and you get more space to do your workout with this versatile workout flooring.
- The mat is user-friendly and lasts long. The coverage is adjustable, so you can get as many or as few as you want. You can also cut them for any customization you want to do.
- Not too keen on completely redesigning or installing flooring at home or in your fitness studio? Then go for these mats and indulge in various workouts that you love. You have the option to choose from blue, black, and gray colors.
- These mats have a slightly looser fit than the previous models.
Jiu-Jitsu Mats FAQ
How thick should Jiu-Jitsu mats be?
The International Judo Federation and the International Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu Federation require that Jiu-Jitsu mats be 1.5-inch thick.
For striking arts such as karate, muay Thai, taekwondo, kickboxing, and kung fu, a much thinner, 1-inch mat with a higher firmness is ideal.
A 1-inch thickness mat provides ideal protection against light and low falls. The extra firmness of the mat offers convenient movement and provides plenty of support for stand-up techniques.
Contrary to popular belief, thicker mats are not all that firm and aren’t all that great for striking arts.
Is Jiu-Jitsu worth the money?
“Is Jiu-Jitsu worth the money?” We can say that it most certainly is. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is not just an excellent workout and improves many aspects of your life, including fitness, but it is also so much fun!
These mats can be used by the young and old alike. No matter your gender, build, or skill level, Jiu-Jitsu mats are highly beneficial. It enhances your strength, coordination and balance, focus and patience, reduces stress and cholesterol, and aids in weight loss.
It also makes you mentally tougher, improves your strategic thinking, and teaches you self-defense.
It is definitely worth the money for everyone if you are looking to improve your coordination, agility, mobility, balance, and strength.
A practice that will challenge both your physical and mental faculties may have to wait around to achieve success and notice significant progress and be willing to spend money.
What are Jiu-Jitsu mats made of?
Jiu-Jitsu mats are constructed out of a material called EVA foam. EVA means Ethylene-Vinyl Acetate. Ethylene-Vinyl Acetate is a closed-cell foam with elastic properties.
It is this which gives these mats the rubbery softness and flexibility. There are specific MMA mats designed especially for the kind of MMA practice you do.
When it comes to Jiu-Jitsu, EVA foam is essential for martial arts floor padding. EVA foam material consists of ethylene and vinyl acetate. The soft but durable polymer is perfect for high-impact workouts and exercise activities.
They also provide a safe cushioning, ideal for all martial arts practices. It also offers excellent shock-absorbent capabilities.
How dangerous is Jiu-Jitsu?
Not really. It is a safe martial arts activity and just as safe as any other sport. In Jiu-Jitsu, once a participant realizes he has lost the match, they can tap to indicate their surrender. Most of the injuries come from takedowns.
A study found that the knees, shoulders, and ribcage were the top 3 areas to get injured during this practice. Stick by the rules, and if you take takedowns out of the equation, they are one of the safest sports.
Choosing the right personal Jiu-Jitsu mat depends entirely on your taste, space constraints, and portability. Jigsaw mats, Roll Out mats, and Folding mats are some of the most popular and familiar Jiu-Jitsu mats.
If you have a backyard and want to practice Jiu-Jitsu on it, you may do so. But you may land up with a scratch or two. You may also come out with a few scrapes, cuts, or abrasions.
A proper training tool will help you avoid all this and make the overall training experience more comfortable and enjoyable.
We have touched on the best Jiu-Jitsu mats in the market in this guide. Get the one that is ideal for training at home. The puzzle mats are some of the best mats for training at home temporarily.
These mats provide you with a wonderfully convenient and comfortable space that is soft and cushiony. So, you can roll and knead around without a concern!
We hope this will help you choose one that will enhance your performance more than before. Happy Jiu-Jitsu training!